Saturday, April 26, 2008

Are you happy mom?

So I am back from my short hiatus. No, I did not go anywhere or even do anything exciting. Maybe that is why I have been so unexcited about posting anything new. Currently my life seems to be full of laundry, cleaning, cooking, trying to be a good mom, and desperately waiting for May 9 when Paul will take his (hopefully) final exam and I will have a husband around again. Peyton has mastered the art of pushing buttons, boundaries, Ellie, and anything else he can to get some sort of reaction . I remember with remorse all of the things I said I would NEVER do before having a 3 year old. I will never resort to bribery. I will never raise my voice above the sweetest tones of understanding and love. We will calmly talk about our feelings. (Peyton is screaming at the top of his lungs and maniacally kicking his feet and flinging his arms..."what are you feeling Peyton...are you feeling mad?") I will never lose my temper. I will never let my children watch more than an hour of television a day and only then, in half hour increments. My children's clothes will always match perfectly and their hair will be combed all day, even if we are not going anywhere that day. I will never allow my children to jump on the furniture or have snacks except at designated 'snack times.' (and those snacks will only be healthy and whole grain). And of course, I will NEVER be the 25 year old adult that is controlled by a 3 year old child. Well, here I am...Peyton is sporting the trendy bed-head style (I think I ran my fingers through it this morning). He is wearing a orange and tan button up shirt, non-matching blue soccer shorts (they were Paul's when he was little), and purple snow boots with no socks. I'll have to post a picture. And about talking about feelings - I never want to talk about feelings again!! We used to have heart-to-heart talks where I would have him tell me how he felt when he had "made a bad decision" and I would tell him how I felt sad when he made bad choices. Not a good idea. He now beats me to the punch and when he has done something that he knows is naughty, he begins chirrupping over and over and over right in my face, "Are you happy...are you happy mom...are you happy...are you happy mom?" I used to answer honestly and try to explain how I felt, but the chirrupping continues until the answer is yes and he gets more and more upset until the answer is yes. I now answer "yes, I'm happy" (even though I am fuming inside) the very first time I hear, "are you happy...are you happy mom?"
Anyway, I hope this doesn't sound like complaining! I really do love being a mom (most of the time) and feel so blessed to have my two little children. I just keep telling myself that I am learning and growing. Learning that I really don't have a clue how to to be a mom and it's actually okay and growing because I eat so many treats every night to cope with Paul studying and to prepare myself for another day of the unexpected. -"Mom, I don't have to say thank you for these cookies because I helped make them...Mom, we can play on the grass because the grass already ate up all the fertilizer...Dad, Ellie's legs look like little bums...Mom, if monkeys come in the backyard, don't let them in the house, because they are scary!"

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my GOSH Rachel you are freaking hilarous!! I had to read this post outloud to Clayton and by the time I got to the monkey's in the backyard I was laughing so hard that I had tears streaking my face! Ohhh the joys of parenthood! I have a feeling I'm going to be in for a real treat with Adam when he gets to be that age! I'm so glad that I got to see you today, your kids are beautiful and your a GREAT mom! I was thinking today how I used to say that I'd never pick up the binkey my kid just threw to the ground and clean it off by sucking on it and then handing it back to him...and yet there I was in the BabysRus parking lot doing just that! hahaha I'm awsome!

TravandNat said...

Rach, this was a great post. I'm glad that you are hanging in there with Paul's testing. Good luck..only a few days left!! Your kids are so cute!!

Hacking it up said...

Ahhh motherhood!....That is one funny post! We all feel for ya! I was one of those moms with one of those lists of what we will and will not do ...I set it on fire, because it just doesn't happen that way does it? You learned faster than I did though, so good for you!!! Everyday, for (almost) 14 years I have said the words to one or more of my children, "It's a good thing you're so cute...cuz, Dang!" ...hang in there! Looks like you're doing a grand job to me!!! Good luck on the testing for Paul! Hooray! :)
Love ya!

Tara said...

Thank you for putting my thoughts into words so perfectly! I really think I'm the best "back-seat-parenter" but when it comes to actually implementing everything, I'm at a loss!!! As for all those parenting books and magazine articles, they authors no NOTHING about MY little monster! I guess we just have to figure this parenting thing out on our own! I'm sure you are wonderful!

KRISTIN BELL said...

Maci is only 8 months old and I have already thrown my "I will never.......s" out the window. Parenting is so challenging already... the fact that you can and do get out of bed amazes me!

Chelsey said...

That totally made my day! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thinks one thing and then completely changes her mind. Your kids are so adorable! You have to break "the rules" you set for yourself or else you'd go insane! I'm totally with ya on the treats! I totally pig out every night when Cody works late or is at young men!

Bethany said...

Yes, the lists of things we vow we will NEVER do. I agree with Steph...burn them!!! I only have a one year old, but Oh...the things he teaches me. Who ever said that a mother is put on the earth to nurture and teach? Nurture maybe! I think kids were put on the earth teach us. I'm being a very slow learner.

Ginny said...

Hey, Rachel, this is Ginny Wood (Melissa Gardner's sister) with an actuary for a husband as well. Only 4½ days to go and we can sing and dance and celebrate!!! Dave is taking the same test and will be there with Paul!!! Oh, I am so right there with you on all of this!! I have blog (and even dedicated an entire post to the insanity that is the SOA) but it is private. If you want an invite to know someone is going crazy with you, send me an email ginnettewood(at)yahoo(dot)com

I hope you guys have something great planned for Friday night!!! Thanks for letting me peek so I know I am not the only one going crazy!!

Michelle said...

I hear ya Rach, life's lessons sure become a lot clearer when your taught by 3 year olds. You are so cute, I love your blog. Hang in there, one day we will look back on these days and wish we could have them back (or so people say) :)

LittlePartyof7 said...

Yeah for final exams! Hopefully one day soon that will be us again!!

I just love this post! I think parenting prep courses should indicate destroying all lists of the sort-they just make us feel inadequate!! You're kids are beautiful & have happy little smiles....You're definitely doing something right!! Keep hanging in there-one day you'll have to deal with school teachers-That's a whole other list!!! : -)

janetha. said...

rachel! wow, i always wonder about you. and then BAM i see you have a blog of kristin's page. gotta love technology. your kids are adooorable ! you look super good too. how are ya? funny thing, i was visiting kristen black in AZ the other weekend and we were reminiscing and we talked about that day the 3 of us went to lagoon in the pouring rain. hahah..that was pretty rad. anyway hi :)

Judy said...

You guys are the cutest! Seeing you at the wedding was like seeing Patricia in person! Now the girls have us setting up an Eror Family blog. Too fun! You inspire us!