Friday, June 20, 2008

CRAZY people!!


On Wednesday night, I was at Target with Peyton and Ellie. We were at the checkout stand, so I was standing in front of the cart with Peyton right next to me (begging one by one for every candy bar...grabbing them out of their boxes..."Please, Mom, can I have this one"....squashing it around in his hands for a few seconds before finally placing it back in its box...sometimes knocking the whole box or at least several dozen other candy bars on the floor.---Note to self: Peyton MUST ride in cart basket no matter how good he promises me he will be.) Ellie was sitting in the basket. She had on a pink flower shirt, pink pants, white shoes with pink flowers and a little pink flower clip in her hair. The two little girls in line behind me were playing peekaboo and smiling at Ellie to make her laugh. Next thing I know, one of the little girls (probably 10-12 years old) taps me on the shoulder and says, "Your little boys clip fell out of his hair........(big pause)....or is it a girl?" Seriously, I didn't even know what to say. I almost had to check myself to make sure I really did have a little girl and wasn't just mistakenly placing pink flower clips in my little boys hair.
I've often had people mistake one of my babies for the wrong sex and it really doesn't bother me. It is hard to tell sometimes. "Your little boy is so cute." "Thanks." is usually the dialogue, but please - she was handing me back her hair clip. Since when is it the style to put flower clips in little boys hair?

8 comments:

cody+sara said...

HA! That's hilarious! I put little flower clips in Easton's hair all the time... ;)

TravandNat said...

You would think dressed head to toe in pink would be enough of a dead give away..but people mistake Addison for a little boy all of the time too. You're kids are beautiful, and that's all that matters!!

Bethany said...

I get these comments all the time too. However, it doesn't help that my husband LOVES to dress my son in pink ("It's metrosexual, only a very comfortable man can wear pink" He says). Really, I need to post pictures of my little "girl" to prove this. And also, you DO NOT have a big bum. I will also take a picture of my OWN and post it. That should make you feel MUCH better. :)

Chelsey said...

I think almost every mom gets at least one comment like that. It happened when I had Anna a few times, even when she was wearing full blown pink too! Are you blind people!?!?

Michelle said...

It's okay Ellie, at least they didn't tell you that you have a big bum! Just kidding Rachel, your kids are the cutest! :)

Melissa said...

One time at church someone thought Raegan was a boy....she had pigtails, pink ribbons in her hair, and a pink polka dot DRESS on! I think people just don't think before they open their mouths. One time when I was working at Bassett furniture I was working with this woman and her teenage son and my sales manager kept saying, "how are you two ladies today?" "Are you ladies finding everything ok?" I kept telling him that it was a lady and her SON, but he just couldn't help himself. I had to make him go to his office so he wouldn't lose the sale for me!

Unknown said...

seriously there are just way to many stupid people everywhere! I've had the same thing happen with Adam when he is wearing all blue or a shirt that says "all boy" DUH!!!!
I love the story about Peyton too, sounds like you definitely need to keep him contained in the cart next time! lol

Hacking it up said...

Some people are..well, I'm just gonna say it...stupid. You should have said , "Why thank you little boy!...or are you a girl?...."