Thursday, June 5, 2008

I never thought it would happen...

So I've crossed yet another wonderful line of motherhood craziness. I can't wait to see what I do next.
I've realized that I need to plan on being ready to leave somewhere 20 minutes earlier than I actually think I need to leave. Inevitably, something ALWAYS happens that delays us getting out of the house. One example, today we were meeting my mom at some store to help with picking out a birthday present. I woke Ellie up from her nap a little early because I knew eating lunch always takes longer than I think is possible to eat lunch. I was completely ready to go - diaper bag packed, keys found, hair combed, socks on, Peyton's socks on, Ellie's socks on...(well, they were, but she doesn't need socks anyway). We were on the last bite of lunch with Ellie. Peyton had finished his sandwich in record time. Everything was looking good. I called my Mom to tell her we would be leaving within 2 minutes and we would see her at the store. She left right away since I live closer to the store and she wouldn't want to keep me waiting...yeah, like that is ever going to happen. Anyway, I hung up from said phone call and turned around and there was Ellie, covered from head to toe (really, it was on her toes) in Zwieback toast. During the twenty seconds I had been on the phone, she must have decided she was hungry again, picked up a half-eaten, soggy, yet somehow also crusty, piece of toast, sucked on it with as much saliva as she could muster and then proceeded to wipe herself down with the remains. Any of you acquainted with the wonders of Zwieback toast know it is quite a feat to get the child's hands and face clean from the sticky, crusty, soggy toast...add on hair, clothes, and feet...I felt like I was scrubbing for hours. I got her clean eventually, grabbed the diaper bag, keys, and Peyton and ran out to the car. No sooner had I got Ellie buckled into her carseat then I smelt a terrible smell. She needed her diaper changed desperately. I quickly unbuckled her, ran into the house, left Peyt buckled in his carseat, did a record setting diaper change, ran back out to the car. Peyton was crying that I had left him in the car and that he needed to go pee pee I buckled Ellie back into her car seat, unbuckled Peyton from his. He ran inside and came back out leaving who knows what damage in the house. I buckled him back into his car seat and finally pulled out of the driveway feeling quite 'bedraggled' and arriving quite late. Mom was just sitting there waiting since she had already picked out a birthday present and shopped the entire store several times waiting for me to come. Sorry Mom.

Anyway, the whole point of sharing this story is so there is an understanding for the following picture. In the midst of this craziness of trying to get out of the house, I feel like I often forget about making sure I am presentable...no make up, no coat, interesting clothes combinations, shoes that don't match my outfit, and now, a first, shoes that don't match each other. I guess I should be happy they were the same color. Maybe no one noticed. I certainly didn't until I got home and took them off. They aren't even the same height. One heel is taller than the other. I guess I normally must walk pretty weird.......why would I ever notice one leg being shorter than the other. Oh well, I love being a mother!!

8 comments:

TravandNat said...

Rach, I love this post! I can totally relate, and I only have one kiddo to look after! Your kids are beautiful! Keep up the good work!!

TheSainOnes said...

Rachel I am still laughing that is funny.. I know how you feel I worked a whole day this year in 2 different shoes. All I could do was laugh at least you have an excuse I had none.

Unknown said...

I was just hoping your blog had been updated and VOILA! Thanks for sharing the story!

Tara said...

What a great post!!! My sides ache, still.

cody+sara said...

I'm still laughing so hard from your horribly entertaining story! LOVE YOU!

Michelle said...

Yea, I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Hacking it up said...

That's hilarious! My mom once went out wearing one black shoe, and one brown shoe...it's in the genes I guess....

judy said...

You COULD have worn a certain beige jacket if I didn't have it hanging in my hall. We really need to get together to put your wardrobe back where it belongs!