Friday, June 6, 2008

Three strikes and I don't want anymore!!

There I was, a skinny, extremely self conscious, 5th grade girl walking around life with my body curved like a "C" - tummy jutted forward, back arched and bottom tucked in - not the most comfortable, or flattering way to walk. Why? My best friend had decided to break the news to me ever so kindly and ever so gently.

"Rachel, I think boys would like you more if you didn't stick your bottom out so much."

Strike One!!! and the emergence of the "C".

Fast forward to age 15. Of course, I still remembered that fateful day, but I blamed it on a friend who really didn't know what she was talking about. The "C" had mostly disappeared and I only worried about a sticking out bum on rare occasions. It was Thursday - Grandma day!! Summer was winding down and it was time for a little school shopping. My wonderful, beautiful, sweet Grandma Larsen went with us. She would sit on the chair outside the dressing room and smile every time I came out of the dressing room telling me how cute I looked, and boosting my self confidence. Then came a pair of shorts that I was in love with. I thought they were perfect and bounced my way out of the dressing room to show Grandma.

"Oh, those are so cute on you Rachel, but you really have a big bum for someone your age."

WHAT!!! 'Those are so cute, but you have a big bum for someone your age-' straight from my Grandma's mouth. What do you say when your Grandma says that to you? "Uhhh, thanks...I mean...sorry."

Strike Two!!!

After that, I don't know if I ever really gained my confidence back. I definitely never wanted to be seen from behind, but I tried to rationalize Grandma's comment away...it must have been the shorts I was wearing...maybe I didn't hear her right and she said I had a small bum...maybe she needed glasses. I started to see the humor in my two stories and would laugh about them every once in a while. I even shared them with a few select people that I knew would refute the stories. This brings us to just a few weeks ago - girls night out - Mom, Minda, my beautiful new sister-in-law Aimee, and me, out for a night on the town. It had been a fun night, shopping, and eating ice cream, and laughing, and I was feeling pretty easy going. Aimee hadn't heard about my woes of growing up so I decided to share my stories with her. We laughed together and then she said, "It's okay Rachel. Big, round bums are in style these days!!"

Strike Three!!

It's often said that in the mouth of three witness, truth shall be established. Well, I've got my three witnesses and there is no disputing the facts anymore. But don't worry everyone, I'm actually okay about it because after all, "Big, round bums are in style these days!!" Love you Aimee!!

8 comments:

Michelle said...

"Don't worry Rach, I know big bums, I'm a fat fish."
So if you believe your "three witnesses" then my bum probably has it's own solar system. Gotta love grandma's!

Unknown said...

You are obiviously getting your compliments (and advice) from the wrong people!!! Try me for instance...I'd say Rach you look FABULOUS and there isn't anything big about you!! and that's the truth :)

Chelsey said...

You look great and I can't imagine why anyone would ever say that! I'm sorry, but that is a funny story about your Grandma.

TravandNat said...

It's okay Rach! I have a big bum too! I can't say that I agree with your three witnesses, but I guess you're in good company!

Hacking it up said...

What the h@#$! are they all talking about? You are so little!! I'm totally checking out your butt next time I see you because you don't have a big butt...now ME on the other hand....I have definitely been cursed with "the Larsen Butt"...
A couple of Sundays ago, the Laurels were all gathered together discussing how big my butt is "check out sis. Hacking's badonk-a-donk! It's so big!" and, "most women lose their butts when they have kids...but not you!"...yeah...I felt great. And don't worry, grandma Larsen told me a few times that I had the "Larsen Butt"...which I do...

cody+sara said...

I'm so happy to see you posting!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE your stories! You're simply adorable and NOT big at all. You're always going to be "little Rachel" to mom and me.

judy said...

Rach--you are the cutest! You make us really miss Patricia. And about that bum thing---we never noticed---and believe me---we would have noticed--AND commented on it! Love you guys!

Tara said...

This was really fun for me to read; afterall, I did win "best back pockets" in the BHS 2001 year book!!! After I read this post, I read the quote on the top of your blog: "Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the BIG things." I had to snicker a little in light of the recently read post! Thanks for the laugh!!!