Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Genius Wheat Grinder Man

One of my favorite quotes that I think of often as I am scarfing down the last of the 9X13 pan of brownies that I made that very morning is, "I'd rather die young and happy, then old and miserable." Meaning, "I think that treats and unhealthy food is the only way to be happy and since we all know that eating this way causes you to die early...oh well...I guess I'm dying young." Unfortunately, I know that it probably is not a 100% accurate statement! It is still not movtivation enough for me to give up the ice cream and chocolate and whatever else is in sight. But, I went to an Enrichment activity this week at our church where a man in the wheat grinder business spoke to us about food storage and wheat and other healthy practices. I was enjoying it, thinking "Oh, maybe someday, I'll get around to that whole grain stuff...being healthy and all" when suddenly, the genius man whipped out 'the quote.' He must have known he was talking to a bunch of young mothers. "It is a sobering thought when we realize, as mothers, that the health and well-being of our beloved family depends nearly entirely upon our knowledge and loving care." GUILT GUILT GUILT
Well, probably needless to say, I went and bought a wheat grinder and Bosch mixer today and made my very first whole grain wheat bread. It was very expensive bread!!! The only thing I am trying to figure out is - Is it really more healthy to eat a whole loaf of fresh wheat bread with dinner followed by a couple slices as a bed time snack or just eat one little slice of store bought wheat bread for breakfast? I guess we should add "depends nearly entirely upon our knowledge and loving care, and self control" to the quote.

Here's to learning self control............I'd do anything for these little guys (and big guy)!!




6 comments:

Megan said...

The bread looks beautiful and delicious! My philosophy is to prepare healthy meals, using whole wheat flour as much as Tyler allows (he refuses whole wheat waffles and pasta), and then I don't feel so quilty about all the treats and the lack of self control when I indulge after the meals. It doesn't really equal out, but it does in my mind!!
Megan

TravandNat said...

Wow, Wow, Wow! How do you have time to make homemade bread, and do everything else that you do..you inspire me! Your family is adorable!!

Katie said...

Hey, at least you know how to use a wheat grinder. That way, when the rest of us are fighting over the whole grain bread in the aisles at Smith's, you'll be at home whistling a happy tune while you grind your own. :)

Kristi said...

Nothing like Enrichment to make you think!:) Really-we all do the best we can. I think it is great that you learned to make bread and got a bosch mixer-nice. Eat away Rach-one of life's little pleasures!

Chelsea said...

Yum, there is nothing better than homemade bread. I am way impressed Rach it looks so good! Oh and you have the cutest family ever!!

Unknown said...

WEll you could claim you have celiac diease, Then what are you suppose to do be sicker than a dog eating this "whole Grain"! I agree though i have NO SELF CONTROL!