Saturday, September 27, 2008

I'm AMAZING!!


Hola. Me llamo Rachel. Me gusta HELADO!!



I am fascinated by other languages and have always wanted to learn another one. Unfortunately, I've been stuck with the high school method of teaching Spanish.


"Okay, clase. Now we are going to sing our Spanish speaking countries song...directly after we play BINGO only speaking in Spanish. Begin - 'Mexico D.F. Mexico, Guatemala, Guatemala, Tegucigalpa, Honduras, San Salvador, El Salvado, Managua, Nicaragua..."


I really learned a lot and am almost fluent as long as someone only wants me to sing the names of the countries that speak Spanish in Central America or play BINGO with them. Kind of a sad thing for me. Well, I realized the other day that I shall be sad no longer...I will rejoice, for motherhood has given me one more thing to be grateful for. I am now "multi-lingual."


The Little Boxer (which shall now be her new name as Marc, my brother calls her, stemming from the fact that she almost always has some sort of bruise or scrape on her head (from a very unsteady running/walking gait)) stands near the fridge and shrieks. I come running..."oh, you want your milk." She begins panting..."do you see an animal somewhere?" More shrieking..."let me carry you down the stairs." She has me well trained. The other day, my mom was over for lunch and watched the conversation between the Little Boxer and I. "How on earth do you always know what she wants?" Me: "I guess I'm just multi-lingual." (I didn't really say this, but this was when the realization came).


I also 'dimember', 'degot', 'digive', get 'cuck', pick up 'gicks', and love 'gogs'. (remember, forgot, forgive, get stuck, pick up sticks, and love dogs). Like I said, I am multi-lingual...just another of the WONDERFUL gifts of motherhood.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Isn't it great? It is like you have a secret language between you and your kids. We went to Goon this weekend and rode the squib ride...Lagoon and squid ride... I love my kids, "language" and the face that Carsen rubs off on Raegan.

Kristi said...

Cute post- she is getting so big. Hope all is going well.

TravandNat said...

Speaking 'Mom' is WAY better than speaking any other language! It was fun to see you guys the other day! We need to do it more often!!

Ginny said...

i have been known to say that i believe in the gift of tongues--i am a mother!!!

Judy said...

the best part is that the grands rub off on the grandparents---and we all start using it with other unknowing adults! i love it!